George W. Bush Sewage Plant

Apparently some citizens of San Francisco are putting a measure on the ballot that would change the name of their award-winning sewage treatment plant, the Oceanside Water Pollution Control Plant, to honor the presidency of George W. Bush. The New York Times points out that since S.F. voted 83% Democratic in 2004 the measure has a good chance of passing. It would take effect on January 20, when a new president is sworn in and Bush will need all the commemorations that the judgement of history can afford him.

Supporters of the bill also plan to celebrate the inaugural with a "synchronized flush of hundreds of thousands of San Francisco toilets, an action that would send a flood of water toward the plant," the Times reports.

In other news relevant to Bush's place in history, a bipartisan group of more than 200 former government officials, retired military officers, and the like is calling for a presidential order forbidding torture and other "harsh interrogation" methods, as well as the "rendition" of detainees to countries that torture prisoners. That might have to wait until the inauguration as well.

Post a Comment

5 Comments

Richard Parker said…
You'll find a nice 'treatment' of this story (I hope) at:
http://levantnotes.blogspot.com/2008/06/balters-blog-george-w-bush-sewage-plant.html
Michael Balter said…
Thanks Richard, and I really like your Notes from a Small Island blog--I have added it to my blogroll (column left.)
Richard Parker said…
Thanks a lot, Michael, but I wish you hadn't added my blog.

Which, of course, I will advertise, right now:
http://smallislandnotes.blogspot.com/

It just beholds me to sit down and write a lot more stuff (& a lot more rubbish).

There are very very few Americans writing 'from outside' - as always, and your angle from Paris is very much worth watching.

And perhaps we need a new Art Buchwald:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/18/AR2007011801620.html
Go on, get your knickers and sneakers on!

Us poor little buggers in (95%) of of the world would like to hope there are some decent Americans still around.
Anonymous said…
I like President Bush and I highly respect him. Pres. Bush is a humble man, a very respectable person,with good moral character, one who love his family and most of all love and reverend God. Because of that, he is a man with Wisdom ( wisdom that comes from the Lord )
The Bible quoted " The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."
If your motive to name that Sewage Plant to Pres. Bush is because you honor and respect him for all his good accomplishment and for his love to this Nation, USA. Protecting us from outside harm, then I am all for it, and thank you. But if your motive is to humiliate him and disrespect him , may God help you , and I despise your stinky motive, you are a disgrace to humanity.
Michael Balter said…
Thank you for your thoughts, anonymous. I am sorry to have to tell you that my motive is indeed to humiliate and disrespect Bush, as you suspected, although in my view he is the disgrace to humanity and not I.

Nevertheless I wish you well.